Wednesday, August 26, 2009

No "Oldies" On Little Rock Airwaves: KOLL Flips From "K106.3" to "Mix 106.3"

Call this the "Tom" effect...

KOLL 106.3 Lonoke AR (COL) has changed formats recently. The 1970's-80's "oldies" format ("The Greatest Hits Of All Time") gives way to a Adult Contemporary format that seems to target B 98.5 (KURB) directly for the female-friendly audience. This is the second format change that Crain Media has made recently, its former hip hop station (KHTE 96.5) became a top 40/CHR outlet competing with another Citadel FM'er (KLAL 107.7 "Alice 107.7").

I noticed this change last night driving into Star City in the car. I suspected something had flipped when unfamiliar music was playing on 106.3 and the signal seemed too strong to be tropo. I'm not sure if the new 106.3 station will make a go of it, but I give them best wishes. I will miss the guilty pleasure of listening to reruns of "American Top 40" produced in the 1970's and 80's on weekend commutes. Some posters on Radio-Info noticed this change on August 19, but unless I'm DXing I usually don't pay much attention or listen much to local radio.

Sonny Vickery and Kevin Clay remain as morning hosts of KOLL. No word if The John Tesh Radio Show will appear on 106.3 since KURB already carries Deliah.

With the audience for traditional Oldies aging, and the distractions of "Variety Hits" Jack and its clones (including "Tom FM") there may not be a replacement station for that format in metro Little Rock. Those listeners needing a oldies fix is best advised to hit Internet streamers or get a Sirius/XM subscription (while that outfit lasts).

No comments: